Hummingbird Training / Smoke Testing

Discussion in 'Requesters' started by Robert, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Hey guys,

So next week, we are heading to Northern Alberta with a smoke machine to really put this whole idea to the test. Because this particular event is a pretty big deal. And we're all pretty nervous about the whole thing, we thought we should invest in some training material. For reference for all of you AND! to link to from the HIT instructions below you'll two images that should help

The real trick with all of this, is you are looking for a break in the horizon. While maybe sometimes there will be something close to the tower, usually smoke is going to be tiny. And look like this:

[​IMG]
    and!
    [​IMG]

Let me know what you guys think about these. What's your impression? Is this what you were expecting?

We've created a library of photo-shopped images which I think we are going to be rolling out over the weekend in preparation for the smoke machine next week.

I'll make sure I update with picture of us in the field next week. I actually haven't ever seen a giant, industrial smoke machine before so I'm pretty interested to see how it turns out.

The best,

R

Edit: Also, you guys are killing it out there. Our response times are evenly balanced and accurate. And the false positives that are coming in are false positives that we love to see.

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 9
  2. LurkerLUL

LurkerLUL Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +1,300
    Hey Robert. I just wanted to say thanks for how supportive you guys to us. Driving out in the middle of the woods with a smoke machine to help train us to spot smoke really is going above any beyond.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    Haha, this is pretty cool.

Happy to hear this, been meaning to pester you a bit and see how mTurk was working for y'all. Glad its going (mostly) well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NBadger

NBadger Mod of Cat Gifs

Ratings:
    +40,241
    :eek:

That is deeply impressive. Kudos to you, I've been enjoying the gorgeous views :D I will remain in a state of constant vigilance for our dear forests

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    You guys are amazing. We're excited. I might live post our trip on here to there, haha. I'm partly afraid @ChrisTurk is going to tell me I'm spamming the Turker Hub Requester forum. We'll see.

• Love Love x 1
  6. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    Haha, you and Bobby can duke it out for the place. If you ever want your own subforum to make it more organized just lemme know.

I'll probably duplicate a lot of your training material into a wiki page once its posted as well so it'll be linked when folks export your HIT. I haven't had time to catch one myself yet though :emoji_tired_face:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    @ChrisTurk Man no worries - if there's anything we can do to help, let us know. I image, depending on the results of our trials this summer, there's a ton of training material that we want to develop but finding a suitable way to distribute it has long concerned us. A Wiki would be a great way to do it.

And a sub-forum? Let's pick this up again in the fall once our trials have been successful. We're definitely interested.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    We also just blocked our first person. Times were too short and they were unresponsive to us reaching out. We feel exceptionally guilty.

EDIT: We just unblocked them. We noticed their last HIT took 26 seconds, which we thought was good. Otherwise 5 seconds is too short, in our opinions. Thoughts?

9. NBadger

NBadger Mod of Cat Gifs

Ratings:
    +40,241
    If it's a habit, probably block them (particularly if they're not responding, or if they're incorrect). It could occasionally be a case of doing it once at a normal speed, then the hit not submitting properly so they have to do it twice (in which case the time would be much faster because they've already looked at it). In general, though, ~20 seconds should be typical.

Also if you feel like it at some point could you make a hot key for the new submit button? Enter would work :D

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  10. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    We'll implement that change today - thanks @NBadger

He just sent us an e-mail telling us why that was happening - he said he was looking at all 9 images at once on a larger screen and said he was willing to move to a more traditional method to avoid that.

11. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Hotkey recommendation for submit? @NBadger ?

• Like Like x 1
  12. NBadger

NBadger Mod of Cat Gifs

Ratings:
    +40,241
    Enter is common for submiting hits; 4 would work as well since 1-3 are used in the rest of the hit. :)

13. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Haha, 4 and Enter? We're pretty accommodating here at Hummingbird. Just kidding, we're defaulting to 4 unless there is an uproar in the community.

14. NBadger

NBadger Mod of Cat Gifs

Ratings:
    +40,241
    Haha, I meant either or. :p 4 sounds great ^.^

• Like Like x 1