02/08 - Wow It's Wednesday

Discussion in 'Daily mTurk HITs Threads' started by gurlondrums, Feb 8, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdeem

mdeem Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +7,357
    [​IMG]

• LOL LOL x 1
  2. SamAnt

SamAnt Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +12,925
    Looks like someone on Reddit got a reply from Mturk about the DAC7

Post link (email is at the bottom currently)

Email from Mturk:

The EU has recently implemented the DAC7 directive (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/eli/dir/2021/514/oj) that requires us to report Amazon Mechanical Turk (MTurk) Workers’ taxable income. While this directive is administered by the EU, it applies to all Workers on Mechanical Turk.

To comply with this directive, please complete a tax interview at this link (https://worker.mturk.com/account/taxinterview2) or by visiting the Mturk Worker website no later than February 28, 2023.

On the Mturk Worker website, you will notice a banner displayed on the page requesting your participation in a survey. If we do not have your tax information by February 28, 2023, you may be ineligible to continue to use your Mturk Worker account, which could also result in withheld payments.

You will be asked if you are registered to sell professional services on the MarketPlace or for AWS IQ, for the purposes of the survey the answer is ‘Yes’.

Please see below for Frequently Asked Questions. If you have any other questions or concerns please let us know by reaching out to our customer service team (mturk.com/contact-us).

Thank you,

Amazon Mechanical Turk Team

Mturk.com/contact-us

FAQ’s

Q: Who needs to complete this survey?

A: All Workers on Amazon Mechanical Turk.

Q: What does the process look like?

A: You will proceed to a form that requests tax identification information.

Q: What happens if an error occurs during the survey?

A: Please reach out to our Customer Support team at mturk.com/contact-us (http://mturk.com/contact-us) with a screenshot and details of the error (with any personally identifiable information from the survey removed)

Q: How long does the process take?

A: It should require no more than 5 to 10 minutes.

Q: What if I accidentally enter something incorrect?

A: At the conclusion of the survey you can click an option to retake the survey. If you have closed the survey window, you can click the link again and you will see the option to retake.

Q: What happens if my information cannot be verified?

A: If your information is correct you should receive verification. If you submitted your information incorrectly, you can retake the survey.

Q: Does this apply to me as someone outside of the EU?

A: Yes.

Q: My country isn’t included in the available countries drop-down during the tax interview questionnaire.

A: We’re working internally to ensure all countries are included, and you will be provided additional time to complete the interview. Please attempt the interview again in a few days’ time when your country may be added.

• Like Like x 3
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 2
  3. BenSolo

BenSolo Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +1,762
    A foreign government demanding my ss number and address or I can't work on mturk? Mturk already has that info, why should I be forced to hand it to a third party myself? It's probably so they don't take any blame or fault when it's inevitably abused because we all did it 'voluntarily' as opposed to Amazon handing it to them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  4. test ing

test ing Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +9,014
    Took the words out of my mouth. :emoji_persevere:

5. j0sh83

j0sh83 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +8,195

The entire video is funny, but to keep with the theme of the thread...

6. SamAnt

SamAnt Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +12,925
    It's most likely not the EU asking for it but Mturk itself. When Mturk first started, most of us were using the Amazon Payments system which is a different part of Amazon and, with how corporations are divided, might as well be a different company. So when Mturk switched to the internal system that they are using now (remember when we all had to re-enter our bank info after it), the information we gave Payments was probably erased/not transferred over (probably due to security reasons) so Mturk probably doesn't have the SSN and addresses for some (probably a lot) of us. So, the reason that they are asking for it, is most likely to verify citizenship after which the information will probably just go nowhere. Only the EU citizens that this applies to will likely have their information passed onto the EU.

There's probably more information for this on the Vendor side of Amazon which is what this would apply to the most but it's not something a lot of people here will have access to.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  7. Theta Carinae

Theta Carinae Active Turker

Ratings:
    +311
    Considering how vastly more stringent EU privacy laws are than anything comparable in the US, I'd be deadass surprised (though note: not an expert) if there wasn't some portion of their legal code that actively forbid them holding on to any non-EU information. I agree with SamAnt, it's vastly more likely that the sloppiness here can be blamed exclusively on mTurk.

(besides, what on earth does the EU want with our information? What could they possibly do with it besides, you know, make fun of us for having no paid sick leave and no healthcare that isn't tied to jobs like they already do? Russia isn't part of the EU, if that's what anyone was concerned about.)

• Like Like x 4
    • WOW WOW x 1
  8. mdeem

mdeem Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +7,357
    Stephanie Fu [A262I86O8C8JJR] Decide whether two images are identical. - $1.00 | PANDA

Underpaid

Unrated

Unrated
    $9.33 / hour
    00:06:26 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Catchability: Great (HIT Last Seen: a second ago)
    Qualifications: Total approved HITs > 10000; HIT approval rate (%) >= 99; similarity_disqual DoesNotExist ;

To read Stephanie Fu's full profile check out TurkerView!

9. NorthoftheBlueMts

NorthoftheBlueMts Turker

Ratings:
    +89
    I'm not sure if this is an updated FAQ or been around for years:

https://www.mturk.com/help

Do you collect tax reporting information from non-US based Workers?
    Yes, all non-U.S. based Workers are required to provide their tax information through a tax information interview before doing any work on Mechanical Turk just as U.S. Workers are required to do. The tax information interview collects the U.S. tax status (for U.S. person or non-U.S. person), the name, and the permanent residence address of the individual that will report the income on an income tax return.

After wading through the EU DAC7 info I found this description:
    https://www.oecd.org/tax/exchange-o...schema-user-guide-for-tax-administrations.pdf
    Taxes: Personal Services:
    The Personal Services element contains information on Relevant Activities involving time- or task-based work performed by one or more individuals, acting either independently or on behalf of an Entity, and which is carried out at the request of a user, either online or physically offline after having been facilitated via Platform.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
  10. lapetitebaker

lapetitebaker Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +7,895
    JDM [A22SL7QNTHYSV3] A 15 min investment survey (~ 15 minutes) - $2.00 | PANDA

Generous

Unrated

Unrated
    $30.25 / hour
    00:03:58 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications: Total approved HITs >= 100; rhsnlk98 >= 100; Exc: [404858-404269] DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) >= 97; Location In US;

To read JDM's full profile check out TurkerView!

11. angelfish7448

angelfish7448 Turker

Ratings:
    +32
    UCLA Anderson Researcher [A3F2ELCFTPI9GB] Consumer Decisions(~ 19 minutes) - $2.60 | PANDA

Unrated

Unrated

Unrated
    $13.49 / hour
    00:11:34 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications: Total approved HITs >= 100; Exc: [400607629-404090] DoesNotExist ; rhsnlk98 >= 100; HIT approval rate (%) >= 95; Location In US;

To read UCLA Anderson Researcher's full profile check out TurkerView!

12. icecale

icecale Turker

Ratings:
    +0
    AcademicResearcher [A2LXVYMJXO8UWH] Preferences Study(~ 5 minutes) - $0.55 | PANDA

Unrated

Unrated

Unrated
    $7.95 / hour
    00:04:09 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Catchability: Very Low (HIT Last Seen: 25 minutes ago)
    Qualifications: rhsnlk98 >= 100; Exc: [12949341-404261] DoesNotExist ; Location In US;

To read AcademicResearcher's full profile check out TurkerView!

13. NorthoftheBlueMts

NorthoftheBlueMts Turker

Ratings:
    +89
    Prolific has an additional year apparently:
    https://taxnews.ey.com/news/2022-0827-uk-delays-reporting-rules-for-digital-platforms

UK delays reporting rules for digital platforms
    The United Kingdom (UK) Tax Authority, Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has issued an Update on the UK's reporting rules for digital platforms.
    Following a recent consultation on the implementation of the OECD's Model 'Reporting rules for digital platforms', the UK Government has decided that the new rules will start from 1 January 2024. This new date is intended to give platforms and their advisors time to prepare for the implementation of the new rules, with collection of information starting from 1 January 2024 and submission of the first reports due by the end of January 2025.

14. BenSolo

BenSolo Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +1,762
    Well, just filled it out I'm US, not like it matters since I've given this information to them already.

• Like Like x 2
  15. angelfish7448

angelfish7448 Turker

Ratings:
    +32
    Ji Sok Choi [A25XYT6EMPKWP8] Read a scenario and answer a few questionnaires ($1.2 for 8~10 min)(~ 9 minutes) - $1.20 | PANDA

Unrated

Unrated

Unrated
    $11.80 / hour
    00:06:06 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications: Total approved HITs >= 100; Total approved HITs <= 50000; rhsnlk98 >= 100; Exc: [-1721761548-404287] DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) >= 95; Location In US;

To read Ji Sok Choi's full profile check out TurkerView!

16. ctgrd

ctgrd Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +291
    JDM [A22SL7QNTHYSV3] A 15 min investment survey (~ 15 minutes) - $2.00 | PANDA

Unrated

Unrated

Unrated
    $24.83 / hour
    00:04:50 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications: Total approved HITs >= 100; rhsnlk98 >= 100; Exc: [404858-404269] DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) >= 97; Location In US;

To read JDM's full profile check out TurkerView!

17. Dylan15

Dylan15 Active Turker

Ratings:
    +78
    Ji Sok Choi [A25XYT6EMPKWP8] Read a scenario and answer a few questionnaires ($1.2 for 8~10 min)(~ 9 minutes) - $1.20 | PANDA

Good

Unrated

Unrated
    $20.57 / hour
    00:03:30 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications: Total approved HITs >= 100; Total approved HITs <= 50000; rhsnlk98 >= 100; Exc: [-1721761548-404287] DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) >= 95; Location In US;

To read Ji Sok Choi's full profile check out TurkerView!

18. Dylan15

Dylan15 Active Turker

Ratings:
    +78
    Stephanie Fu [A262I86O8C8JJR] Decide whether two images are identical. - $1.00 | PANDA

Underpaid

Unrated

Unrated
    $11.39 / hour
    00:05:16 / completion time
    Pros:
    Cons:

Qualifications: Total approved HITs > 10000; HIT approval rate (%) >= 99; similarity_disqual DoesNotExist ;

To read Stephanie Fu's full profile check out TurkerView!

19. carrie35

carrie35 Turker

Ratings:
    +23
    without SS #s how is amazon mturk giving out the 1099 to folks? those have to go to the IRS also.

• Like Like x 1
  20. carrie35

carrie35 Turker

Ratings:
    +23
    how do we know if we fill out that form that just that act is giving amazon permission to turn our info over to the EU which most likely wants it to figure out a way to tax us somehow. remember all those "total household income" questions we answer.

• WOW WOW x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.