02/13 - Waggin' Tail Wednesday!

Discussion in 'Daily mTurk HITs Threads' started by Melting Glacier, Feb 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morweeg

morweeg Triple Double Certified Organic Batch Master

Ratings:
    +54,131
    @Tiger33 finish your hits so he'll post more, thx.

• WOW WOW x 1
  2. Hummingbirdee

Hummingbirdee Big Bird

Ratings:
    +115,701
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Isaacdanger

Isaacdanger New Turker

Ratings:
    +5
    I feel like I keep repeating myself. Don't give a shit about the 2$. Glad I can work back into good approval rating. But I will find satisfaction in outing a phd student if they're cheating on their work :) and that's it. Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Cheers.

4. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    They're (probably) not doing this, though.

They most likely threw out your data because they think it's bad. They're not going to go take data they think is crap and publish research on it. They're gonna repost those tasks so someone does them in a way they'll approve.

She used her complete first & last name and obviously gave up enough information to make her easily found in a few minutes of searching. If she came onto MTurk with the intention to scam do you honest to God think someone in their PhD candidacy couldn't type in "Totally McSafeToWorkFor" as a username? If you look around the platform you will find plenty of those accounts (they're called p9r, scoutit, etc), she didn't come here to scam you she came here to get her work done cheaply & efficiently so she can move on w/ her life and for one reason or another that relationship between you two broke down.

So it's a problem that you're assuming they're scamming when from their POV you're the scammer >.>

I'm not calling you a scammer, just trying to convey what's likely up here. You either have to be able to see their side of the coin or accept that most of your experience on MTurk is going to be rinse/repeat of this situation. You're not paid for effort or anything short of providing exactly what the requester thinks they want. Honestly many times what they think they want and what you provide aren't going to be 1:1 matches because what they think they want and what they actually want aren't even the same thing. Which is a real sonofapumpkin but in this case it kinda sounds like you failed a pretty straightforward QC measure & ate the back end of that deal.

FWIW, the exact same thing happened to me when I started Turking. A9s said "if you see ANY part of a pair of shorts, mark the picture as containing shorts" .. I marked a handful of pics as "no shorts" because there just wasn't enough fabric to justify it in my head aaaand I still have those rejections lmao. I thought I was "helping" by being so thorough & observant. Noooope.

Anyway, the point here isn't this specific situation. No one is gonna be upset no matter which direction it goes, but understanding that this instance is a byproduct of a situation you're going to run into a lot on here & need to learn how to navigate is really important. And you cannot run down everyone & their mom & their boss & their third cousin to shake down because you waste more time not making money over money you already lost that way. Simple OOP on starting to avoid this is:
    • Not doing more HITs than you can afford to have nuked
    • Evaluating work before you even click accept (qualifications, to/tv profiles, etc etc the list is endless)
    • Contacting requesters before working on tasks that could be considered remotely ambiguous or subjective
    • Never do fashion HITs (..this is just my rule, not a real one) b/c they always reject lol
    As for this instance what you do is your own business, but if you come here and ask "should I go contact this lady's boss?" the answer is hell no dude (or dudette/w/e, sorry didn't look to check), at least not in this situation. There will be times I say "bruh murder that lady" but this doesn't sound like one of them.

You can take that & run with it or go ask on a platform that'll validate your initial ideas on the matter & tell you to go skewer her on a pole until she coughs up those dimes.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 2
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  5. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    This attitude is going to land you with far fewer earnings and a hell of a lot of account blocks, good luck.

• Love Love x 2
  6. morweeg

Ratings:
    +54,131
    • LOL LOL x 1
  7. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    • LOL LOL x 3
  8. morweeg

Ratings:
    +54,131
    You need to up your SEO skills, dude, her TV page is still on page 2 of the Google search.

• WOW WOW x 2
  9. Isaacdanger

Isaacdanger New Turker

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks, man. I was in too deep.

• Like Like x 3
  10. morweeg

Ratings:
    +54,131
  11. LettuceTurk

LettuceTurk New Turker

Ratings:
    +51
    [​IMG]

• LOL LOL x 2
  12. WelcomeToFrightNight

WelcomeToFrightNight Active Turker

Ratings:
    +132
    Login Fluent [AM17MP4TZD7FP] Read 162 short English phrases out loud - $1.80 | PANDA

Fair

Unrated

Unrated
    $7.20 / hour
    00:15:00 / completion time
    Pros:
    I don't mind this task, it's fairly tedious, reading and recording 162 words or phrases, however, it makes a nice change from whichever bubble hell you may have just endured, so this is a good HIT to do for a change of pace, if nothing else.
    Cons:
    A tad underpaid.

Qualifications: Total approved HITs > 100; HIT approval rate (%) > 95;
    To read Login Fluent's full profile check out TurkerView!

13. sarin

sarin Well-Known Turker TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +4,286
    you have no idea how jealous I am right now

• LOL LOL x 2
  14. mboone73

mboone73 Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +1,292
    As opposed to the well rounded, completely sane turkers such as myself.

• LOL LOL x 3
    • WOW WOW x 1
  15. WelcomeToFrightNight

WelcomeToFrightNight Active Turker

Ratings:
    +132
    Mattheus Brenig [A1AC1BTIMTFPZL] Slider Task (you can earn 2.5$ in approximately 12 minutes) - $0.00 | PANDA

Fair

<24 hours

Unrated
    $ / hour
    00:11:44 / completion time
    Approved!
    Pros:
    Pays nothing, all bonus based, Fair bonus for a tedious task, this is one of those HITS which you have to go mining for, ie:adjusting your filter.
    Cons:
    Tedium.

Qualifications: Block Past Workers DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs >= 100; HIT approval rate (%) >= 90; Location EqualTo US;
    To read Mattheus Brenig's full profile check out TurkerView!

16. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    Just to be clear I'm really not trying to poop on you or anything.. I've been in the saaaaame boat lol. Eating A9 rejects (A9 is an AMAZON requester) was like "WTF THIS IS AMAZON A BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY WHO CANT PAY ME FOUR CENTS!?!?" aaaand I got the same spiel I just gave you lol.

Nature of the beast. MTurk can be really good but the learning curve is dangerous as hell and there are very few safeguards for workers. I'd point back to the "what you do is your business" because in this case 47% is indeed ruff lol, but tbf you're probably looking at a 50/50 even split of making back the rejections on boring penny HITs vs the crapshoot that can be email anyway.

MTurk to workers:
    [​IMG]
    *clicks tv profile*

oof

:emoji_joy:

• LOL LOL x 1
  17. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    Typing 3 page novels at 2AM about pennies is normal tho right? I'm safe? :emoji_disappointed_relieved:

• Love Love x 1
  18. morweeg

Ratings:
    +54,131
    I mean, you have a baby on the way so you have an excuse. The rest of us, however have no business being awake this late. Anyone wanna play some Apex Legends, by the way?

• LOL LOL x 1
  19. mboone73

mboone73 Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +1,292
    Well, you just made a Lord of the Rings reference. So, you're completely normal in my book.

• Love Love x 1
  20. Randomacts

Randomacts Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +124,073
    You are as safe as a small child with a chainsaw.

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.