1. The forum & main site will stay up indefinitely after MTurk shuts down in case anyone needs anything. I assume a handful of things will break after MTurk vaporizes & I'll fix it as fast as I can to keep the two main parts of the site online.
    Dismiss Notice

07/27 - Mind Games Monday

Discussion in 'Daily mTurk HITs Threads' started by ThisPoorGuy, Jul 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InfiniteChanges

    InfiniteChanges Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

    Messages:
    9,288
    Gender:
    Male
    Ratings:
    +11,065
    That's very true, but my landlord and the local shops stopped taking a jaunty song and dance as payment.
     
    • LOL LOL x 6
  2. SirKiwiTheBrave

    SirKiwiTheBrave ʇᴉnɹℲ ǝʌɐɹq ǝɥ┴

    Messages:
    4,631
    Gender:
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,387
    (I think you mean every 3 months, except you don't do it, so it's irrelevant, so meh.)
    This is what I do. All of my YOLO facetiousness aside, @morweeg is right. There is some kind of cutoff, except I thought it is if such form of income represents a significant percentage of your income. For me, turking is such a small part of my income that it becomes inconsequential for tax reporting purposes.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  3. InfiniteChanges

    InfiniteChanges Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

    Messages:
    9,288
    Gender:
    Male
    Ratings:
    +11,065
    Technically, if it's over $600 any given year (if I remember the minimum correctly) the tax man wants his due.
     
  4. ChrisTurk

    ChrisTurk Survey Slinger

    Messages:
    57,204
    Ratings:
    +165,377
    Capitalist scum
     
    • Love Love x 2
  5. gener

    gener Survey Slinger

    Messages:
    9,038
    Gender:
    Male
    Ratings:
    +11,568
    @ChrisTurk we should probably compile a resource of tax info for people and put it under help or something
     
  6. ChrisTurk

    ChrisTurk Survey Slinger

    Messages:
    57,204
    Ratings:
    +165,377
    Those kinda things always tend to go stale / out of date, and then they go from helpful resource to "oh we've become a generator of audits" real quick :emoji_sweat_smile:

    *glares at 4 y/o tax guide for turkers*
     
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  7. mrnotoriousman

    mrnotoriousman Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

    Messages:
    21,943
    Gender:
    Male
    Ratings:
    +20,112
    I think that's really hard because of how unique everyone's situation is. It's really easy to mess something up and best left to professionals.
     
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2
  8. gener

    gener Survey Slinger

    Messages:
    9,038
    Gender:
    Male
    Ratings:
    +11,568
    I didn't mean from an official tax law standpoint. But there are basics that apply to most.
     
  9. Tiger33

    Tiger33 Survey Slinger

    Messages:
    4,025
    Gender:
    Male
    Ratings:
    +8,695
    just toss the ‘ol @dan ”but I’m not a tax professional” at the bottom

    [​IMG]
     
    • LOL LOL x 6
  10. morweeg

    morweeg Triple Double Certified Organic Batch Master

    Messages:
    40,571
    Ratings:
    +54,131
    Or maybe just advise people to talk to an actual tax professional if they're confused by strangers talking out of their ass on the internet.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  11. gener

    gener Survey Slinger

    Messages:
    9,038
    Gender:
    Male
    Ratings:
    +11,568
    see above
     
  12. TastyWaffles

    TastyWaffles Active Turker

    Messages:
    505
    Ratings:
    +949
    I don't pay quarterly, not worth the pain, I just pay whatever they fine me for not doing it at the end of the year, it's usually a small amount fine anyway.
     
  13. gener

    gener Survey Slinger

    Messages:
    9,038
    Gender:
    Male
    Ratings:
    +11,568
    There has to be another option. If a percentage of the population can be squeezed into 10-40ez then they can do the same with our income area. It just takes action.
     
  14. Kahil01

    Kahil01 Well-Known Turker

    Messages:
    3,347
    Gender:
    Female
    Ratings:
    +701
    TradeVisibility [AHJCP4044V5YY] Economics survey - $0.70 | PANDA


    Good

    Unrated

    Unrated
    $11.15 / hour
    00:03:46 / completion time
    ​
    Pros:
    Cons:


    Catchability: Great (HIT Last Seen: a second ago)
    Qualifications: Total approved HITs > 500; HIT approval rate (%) >= 99; Location EqualTo US;

    To read TradeVisibility's full profile check out TurkerView!​
     
  15. ChrisTurk

    ChrisTurk Survey Slinger

    Messages:
    57,204
    Ratings:
    +165,377
    I'd honestly just link it to creditkarma.
    This is @Mothra 's method & I personally don't hate it just wouldn't tell someone it's a good idea :emoji_joy:
     
    • LOL LOL x 1
  16. SirKiwiTheBrave

    SirKiwiTheBrave ʇᴉnɹℲ ǝʌɐɹq ǝɥ┴

    Messages:
    4,631
    Gender:
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,387
    Preface: don't take tax advice from random cats on the internet.
    Here's the page I went to when I checked this out a while ago. The relevant bit for me is:

    In general, taxpayers must pay at least 90 percent of their tax bill during the year to avoid an underpayment penalty when they file.
    ​
    My interpretation for my situation is that the taxes that are withheld in my FTE job easily cover the 90% threshold regardless of how much I earn in the year turking.

    The other caveat is that in general you may have to pay if you expect to owe more than $1000. Again, for the amount that I pay in taxes through my FTE job, it pretty much makes my turking tax liability a rounding error.

    This is for my situation which is definitely different from everyone else's and I'm not your tax adviser.
    Totes.
     
  17. TastyWaffles

    TastyWaffles Active Turker

    Messages:
    505
    Ratings:
    +949
    The main issue is that we are considered self employed contractors and we get to pay SE tax plus income tax, pretty shitty for the wages imo.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  18. gener

    gener Survey Slinger

    Messages:
    9,038
    Gender:
    Male
    Ratings:
    +11,568
    Not saying you are wrong. Not at all
     
  19. gener

    gener Survey Slinger

    Messages:
    9,038
    Gender:
    Male
    Ratings:
    +11,568
    • 5/5 Pay 5/5 Pay x 1
  20. Penelope

    Penelope Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

    Messages:
    11,531
    Gender:
    Female
    Ratings:
    +5,684
    SheldonLab [A266NDHBSYVKF1] List items that belong to different categories - $3.00 | PANDA


    Underpaid

    Unrated

    Unrated
    $7.83 / hour
    00:22:59 / completion time
    ​
    Pros:
    Cons:
    Several timed listing tasks follow by a ton of bubbles.


    Catchability: Okay (HIT Last Seen: 9 minutes ago)
    Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) > 98; Location In CA, US;

    To read SheldonLab's full profile check out TurkerView!​
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.