4/5- Way Back Wednesday

Discussion in 'Daily mTurk HITs Threads' started by malysa, Apr 5, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdeem

mdeem Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +7,357
    people really be talking a lot of nonsense about the Paypal issue TBH

As @SamAnt has already stated, this kind of thing is actually extremely normal for Paypal and for anyone who is familiar with their payment systems this is no big deal

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  2. Sagebrushdan

Sagebrushdan Active Turker

Ratings:
    +311
    We're talking about not paying workers genius

• LOL LOL x 1
  3. Theta Carinae

Theta Carinae Active Turker

Ratings:
    +311
    oh no a long post! skip if you hate reading

That's the thing, we don't know. And I'm not having any trouble imagining a situation where CR ends up charging requesters more to post work if they fall under a certain feedback limit, which would OF COURSE fall back on us somehow (since we're given SO much leeway to give requester feedback - requesters would end up with quals to limit people who didn't give a certain number of 4-star reviews or higher, or similar)

Yes, I'm making this up. But does it really sound that implausible? It's just all so DoorDash-y, and we all know how DoorDash screws with its workers (and if you don't it's an enlightening read)

This is actually less concerning. As @SamAnt and @mdeem mentioned upthread, Paypal's fraud thingy has been notoriously easy to trigger (and they've refused to talk about it any more than they've been forced to) since pretty much the dawn of time. It could be a sign that CR is shady, or it could be a sign that Paypal is.

Paypal gives no fucks about this. Paypal cares about its money, not whether CR can keep running or not. This in and of itself does not make CR bad.

Yes, I get that that's an option, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to know why the questions are being asked and why the popup is shoved in our faces after every single survey. You are certainly not required to share my curiosity or my crazy in suspecting nefarious intentions (which I freely admit I currently have no proof of)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jane Doe

Jane Doe Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +2,150
    I've had a PayPal business account for more than 20 years and have NEVER had any problems, and on the two occasions someone tried to wrongfully charge me it was quickly taken care of. I have moved states and switched banks over these 20+ years and have had no problems with PayPal.

5. mdeem

Ratings:
    +7,357
    lmao

my money is still showing in my balance and I will get it once issues are resolved

if people just calmed down and thought rationally about this, it would be obvious its not a big deal and people are making it worse than it is. If users were actually contacting Paypal complaining, then they are directly making it worse than it was

If this were a normal job, I wouldn't even be getting a paycheck until 2 weeks has passed... I'm not freaking out over a few days

@Jane Doe I doubt you've dealt with daily transactions on the level that Connect is. I know you gotta pop up and make your required complaints about CR which is all ya seem to do on here any more

• Like Like x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  6. Jane Doe

Jane Doe Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +2,150
    I read on the CloudResearch site their ideal participants make 100k a year, so I guess we don't need the money.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mdeem

Ratings:
    +7,357
    If Connect didn't have your money to pay you, then how is it they can get you an Amazon giftcard with your entire payment amount in no time... clearly they have the money.

People are just being ridiculous

• Like Like x 3
  8. Jane Doe

Jane Doe Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +2,150
    Probably not, but I've never run a shady business either.
    Why exactly is PayPal giving them a problem?
    I'm guessing their "baffle 'em with bullshit" approach isn't working and passive / aggressive social media posts don't get them anywhere.

9. Jane Doe

Jane Doe Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +2,150
    I've been wondering how they get Amazon to let them break every rule they've set on MTurk, so that might be a deeper question than you think.
    :emoji_grinning:

10. mdeem

Ratings:
    +7,357
    Nah its pretty clear that Amazon doesn't give the slightest shit about MTurk and has not for a while now.

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  11. Sagebrushdan

Ratings:
    +311
    I just can't wait until they disable the Amazon gift card option, once enough workers try to use it. LOL.

Keep waitin for for your money fool!

12. malysa

malysa Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +5,553
    agreed. and you can always get paid with Amazon GC, which is what used to be the only option for Mturk back in the day. They're only just getting ready to hit their first birthday as a platform in a few weeks, and then I think they were in beta for six months of that. People should chill. I respect CR for giving me another outlet to hustle. I think some people are just butt sore that they got CR2.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Theta Carinae

Ratings:
    +311
    That's nice that you haven't had bad experiences with them. My account is the same age. I've also never had problems with Paypal. But I have talked to dozens of people over the years, and read even more stories from people who have - and while a small percentage of those were obviously scammy, most were not. Not saying that Paypal is awful, but they're also not exactly a paragon of flawless business dealings either.

• Like Like x 5
  14. mdeem

Ratings:
    +7,357
    Not sure why you feel the need to be a dick when you aren't even in the game?

Whatever man, enjoy yourself

• LOL LOL x 1
  15. Theta Carinae

Ratings:
    +311
    not exactly not calm, just wondering if I should be sus for other reasons than the Paypal issue, but you're not wrong.

Isn't this why mTurk started doing the weekly deposits in the first place? so people wouldn't get upset when they couldn't get their money when they wanted it? maybe CR will learn from this and start doing something similar

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jane Doe

Jane Doe Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +2,150
    Yeah, that's really sad but true. They've gone downhill in many ways, not just MTurk.

• Like Like x 2
  17. malysa

Ratings:
    +5,553
    in other news, I got a new pipe today. It's really pretty. I'm trying to see how long it takes to get the colors to change...
    [​IMG]

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Sagebrushdan

Ratings:
    +311
    So you just call ppl "dicks" when you start to lose the argument. Okay, cool man.

• LOL LOL x 1
  19. malysa

Ratings:
    +5,553
    [​IMG]

• LOL LOL x 3
  20. Theta Carinae

Ratings:
    +311
    I feel like we can all agree on this