1. With the changes to MTurk's payment systems I'm recommending people take a moment to consider securing their on-site banking information from userscripts. TVJS has already been updated to explicitly prevent it from accessing sensitive pages, but workers should strongly consider permanently blacklisting scripts from running on pages containing banking information.

[Guide] Globally Blacklisting Scripts From Running on MTurk's Bank Account Management Pages will show you how.

Dismiss Notice

Account Lockout Warning!

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by Nic Roberts, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Nic Roberts

Nic Roberts Turker

Ratings:
    +70
    I had a very scary moment this morning!

After a series of mishaps, I was locked out of my account. It started with two-step verification via email, no problem. But, then I was asked for the expiration date of a debit card that I no longer have. I couldn't remember the date and that lead to the lock-out. So that sucked but no biggie I just need to make a phone call. Here is where the problem really started...
    I don't shop on Amazon all that often. Sometimes I use the wishlist, but when I do, I'm not really thinking about it. I'm of course expecting to be asked security questions, but I don't expect to be asked ones about my shopping history. To my surprise, the security questions were about the last three items I purchased and what is on my wishlist. I can vaguely remember a couple of items that I ordered last, but not enough for the customer service rep to find it acceptable. I can't remember anything that would have been on my wishlist either. I ask (and assume) there must be another way to be verified. After all, I'm calling from the number they have on record, I can access codes in my email, I can provide answers to other personal questions, there must be a way, right? But no, there is not. I'm rudely told by the rep that I need to start a new account or call back and try to answer the questions again, and she basically hangs up on me after giving me a sarcastic "have a nice day".
    So now I'm stressing but understand better what I need to explain. I call back and luckily get a much nicer and more patient customer service rep. I tell him that I use my account every day, I rely on it to make some of my income, I'm owed money and I can't just make a new account. I understand that they verify the account by using past purchases but I so rarely use my account to shop I can't remember specifically my last purchase or what I might have on my wishlist. He works with me, I verify part of my checking account number and stumble through some things I knew I bought last ( I just didn't know exactly when) and finally remember I had added a backpack to my wishlist last year. Thankfully that sealed the deal and I was able to unlock my account! Everything, luckily, worked out.

Here's the moral of my story. I would highly recommend that everyone keep a record of the last three items they purchased and know something on their wishlist. This might be the dumbest security feature I've seen, but I feel lucky that I was able to stumble through and come up with the right answers. I could've lost my livelihood in an instant because of some really dumb computer errors and security systems and would've been devastated. Hopefully this warning can help save someone else a headache :)

• Useful / Informative Useful / Informative x 16
    • WOW WOW x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  2. Birdlove

Birdlove Active Turker

Ratings:
    +442
    Wow, thanks! You just prompted me to check my amazon account and review my last purchases and wish list....... just in case. Thanks for the warning. Hopefully I will never need it.