Help with connecting with Turkers

Discussion in 'Requesters' started by Sharon Mozgai, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Sharon Mozgai

Sharon Mozgai New Turker

Ratings:
    +25
    Hi All - I'm a Requester doing research on human conversation and I am posting HITs without much luck.

I'd like to have about and 8 minute Zencastr chat with one person at a time for $4. The total HIT will take about 10 minutes. It's completely anonymous, I'm not selling anything, don't want names or locations or any personally identifying info.

People have been enjoying it so far, but I only connect with about 1-2 people a day and I need a lot more participants. I have really good ratings on Turkopticon, if you want to search for me my by name from my previous studies.

Also my current HIT is live now if you want to check it out - this is the title:

Anonymous! Quick! $4 for 8 minute Zencastr chat. Have you stayed in a Hotel in the last year?

If you have any tips for me or want to do my study, please reach out. I would very much appreciate it. It's definitely a challenge bc the feedback I am getting is that people really don't want to talk to anyone as part of a HIT.

• LOL LOL x 1
  2. Bianca

Bianca New Turker

Ratings:
    +2
    I don't know why you can't get any more participants, but I do know I have been trying to catch your HIT and cannot.

• Like Like x 1
  3. angel

angel Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +28,535
    I looked at one of these didn't know what Zencaster was and moved on. Also evenings are sometimes better ( I know for me) to get people to actually talk on the phone, skype or what ever.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Randomacts

Randomacts Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +124,073
    hit export:
    Title: Anonymous! Quick! $4 for 8 minute Zencastr chat. Have you stayed in a Hotel in the last year? | PANDA
    Requester: David DeVault [A3CZ5Y6LIHT4GA] (Contact)
    (TO): [Pay: 0.00] [Fair: 0.00] [Comm: 0.00] [Fast: 0.00]
    Description:
    I'm studying conversation and would like to have a quick chat about your recent hotel stay
    Time: 30 minutes
    HITs Available: 1
    Reward: $4.00
    Qualifications: Interviewed has not been granted; HIT Inquiry has not been granted; Zencaster Inquiry has not been granted; Location is US;

• Like Like x 1
  5. NBadger

NBadger Mod of Cat Gifs

Ratings:
    +40,241
    Welcome to the forum! I've already done your hit and quite enjoyed it :)

The only thing I can offer is maybe to clarify in the hit title that "Zencastr chat" is an audio-only interview? It's not clear from the title whether it will include audio+visual or just text, so that might help upfront.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  6. Sharon Mozgai

Sharon Mozgai New Turker

Ratings:
    +25
    It may be that I need to launch 1 HIT at a time, bc there is only one of me to conduct the conversation on Zencastr. So maybe someone is clicking on the HIT and then not returning it instead of connecting with me? Is that possible? Also, is it possible for me to send a HIT directly to your Worker ID. I don't want to violate any terms of service, but I'd love to connect with people who are interested in speaking with me.

7. angel

angel Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +28,535
    looking at the hit posted above a longer timer so people can axcept the hit then connect at a convienent time might help. My husband did a hit on health or something where he excepted the hit (long timer 2 days I think). Then scheduled a time for the interview over skype then got a completion code at the end of the interview made it more convienent.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sharon Mozgai

Sharon Mozgai New Turker

Ratings:
    +25
    Sure - the details are in the consent form that are part of the HIT. But please let me know if you have any specific questions regarding anonymity. You connect to me via Zencastr using your worker ID as your "name" and then we chat briefly about how you feel about a recent hotel stay. I record the audio, but I don't ask anything about who you are, where you live - just your opinions about the hotel experience.

9. angel

angel Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +28,535
    what I said in a different post about scheduling would help with this

• Like Like x 1
  10. NBadger

NBadger Mod of Cat Gifs

Ratings:
    +40,241
    Someone could grab the hit, let it sit in their queue for awhile (either because they're working on something else or because they're checking your TO, etc.) and then return it later/let it expire, yes. Someone else will likely scoop it up at that point.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sharon Mozgai

Sharon Mozgai New Turker

Ratings:
    +25
    Thank you so much everyone for the advice!!! I relaunched with Audio Only and I will think about the best way to set up a scheduling system. I've directed people to a doodle poll in the past.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    What @NBadger said would make a big difference to me. Its notoriously difficult to get workers to participate in more real-world interaction type studies, so being extra explicit with what it entails in title/description can be super helpful because your work wont be previewed by a large # of folks (it'll disappear when someone grabs it to hold in queue).

@angel's advice is good as well, the name recognition on the software you're using is gonna make a difference. There are a lot of fly-by-night app downloads that come through mTurk and it can be terribly difficult to tell the difference some times.

On this note, you're also very welcome to work out schedules to meet with people here and simply make a qualified only HIT for them on mTurk to pay them. We have a few hundred active Turkers come through across the day, so a few posts in the Daily Thread - especially on Mon/Tues morning/afternoon which is peak hours - with a link to some sort of scheduling app where people can claim times may be really beneficial for ya if not a bit "out of the box"

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  13. Sharon Mozgai

Sharon Mozgai New Turker

Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks so much! I like Zencastr bc it isn't an app and you don't have to download anything - which is nice - but also not many people know it - which is a problem. I'm so appreciative for all this thoughtful feedback. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sharon Mozgai

Sharon Mozgai New Turker

Ratings:
    +25
    This is awesome advice! Thanks!!!!

15. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    @Sharon Mozgai is this actually your Requester account? Sorry kinda confusing naming so I just wanna be sure so I can tag your account as a Requester (helps ya stand out a bit among some of the spam!)

16. Sharon Mozgai

Sharon Mozgai New Turker

Ratings:
    +25
    Yes, thanks!!! I updated the account info to have my name so it matches on all HITs going forward.

17. Sharon Mozgai

Sharon Mozgai New Turker

Ratings:
    +25
    And yes, Sharon Mozgai is my requester account

18. SleepComa

SleepComa Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +3,658
    Hi, just talked to you! Looking forward to the interview later.

• Love Love x 1
  19. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    Ok, great. I've verified your account here (little icon under your name!) & I've also linked it to your Requester profile here:
    https://turkerview.com/requesters/A3CZ5Y6LIHT4GA-david-devault

It'll take some time for whatever you set your new requester name on mTurk to propagate to that page, but eventually it'll update when it sees the new name on mTurk.

Its more-or-less like TO, but we've been fleshing out our own system since TO is a bit old & no longer actively developed. Feel free to link folks to it if it'll be helpful (I believe @NBadger had already left some nice comments for your HIT).

Anything else we can do to help just give me a shout :) Hopefully this thread was useful for ya!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Sharon Mozgai

Sharon Mozgai New Turker

Ratings:
    +25
    Hit it live for you - let me know if you can't see it!