Increasing HIT participation

Discussion in 'Requesters' started by Robert, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    So we've kind of been having this mid-afternoon lull in HIT participation. From like noon to 4 PST every day, our HIT responses drop from an average of 4 to around 2.

Ideas of why this is happening? We're considering doing some more advertising on Reddit, or another sub-forum, any thoughts? Not that we want to, Turker Hub is da bomb.

We also have this tin-foil hat theory that it has something to do with people's scripts, though we don't know enough about them to confirm whether this is the truth or not.

2. Randomacts

Randomacts Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +124,073
    That actually lines up with my usage of your hits. I normally only run your panda when stuff is dead because otherwise it is kind of a waste of PREs while a lot of other hits are dropping. I'm honestly not sure if there is a good solution for this problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  3. slothbear

slothbear Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +22,069
    I agree w/ @Randomacts. I'll run a panda for your HIT when it's slower, but if there's other stuff dropping, I'll turn it off for awhile. Your HITs are quick and easy, but there are some other HITs that are more important to me sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Your Spellcheck Is As Broke As a Turker Working for Brelig Your Spellcheck Is As Broke As a Turker Working for Brelig x 1
  4. Eisenpower

Eisenpower Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +11,870
    I could be wrong, but I like to think of that time period as "prime time." There a lot of good HITs being posted around then and people may just be leveraging the PREs, pandas, and pay against your HIT around that time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Thanks for hyperlinking PREs, haha, okay so what you're saying is that during high traffic times, like when we're averaging 4 HIT responses, it doesn't make sense to use your panda because it's too busy and PREs make this not possible?

6. Eisenpower

Ratings:
    +11,870
    I also noticed the auto-submit wasn't working, but I haven't had time to address that issue with you yet. It won't submit unless I hit the left arrow when I hit the final screen.

7. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Wait, my initial conclusion is is wrong, based on what @Eisenpower said, noon to 4 PST is a super great time to be completing HITs because there are a lot of them. Less incentive to do ours?

8. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    It should be back and working again - we added a submit button.

9. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Good to know!

10. Eisenpower

Ratings:
    +11,870
    That's my thinking. We, as MTurk workers, have to think a lot about prioritization. Running less pandas gives us a better chance to catch the HITs we're after. I think I was doing them almost all day yesterday or before and I even turned it off at some point to try and catch something else I was after.

11. slothbear

slothbear Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +22,069
    Yep. If your HITs were a batch that I could keep doing one after another, I would be doing them all day long. During the busy times though, 'spending' page requests to look for a $.09 hit that I can catch every every five minutes will end up lowering my income.

I do like them though, and I'll keep on grabbing them when there isn't other stuff going on.

• Love Love x 1
  12. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    Yes. Not only that, but its impossible for a worker to know when exactly your HIT will be available to accept.

You can probably solve your problem with a very simple solution: when you upload new HITs, simply post your HIT export onto the forum's daily thread. You probably don't need to do it every time, but once or twice during slow times will alert people to your presence.

Like 30-40 people will check out this thread total. At any given time, especially during business hours, there's usually 100+ people on the daily thread. Plus HN which exports to our daily thread will get sent to.

A single post on the daily thread will reach 300-400 eyeballs pretty easily.

• Like Like x 2
  13. NBadger

NBadger Mod of Cat Gifs

Ratings:
    +40,241
    Shush I've been aggressively collecting these puppies don't give me HN competition :eek:

But yes, this would work. :p

• LOL LOL x 3
  14. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    That makes a ton of sense and is completely reasonable.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Is that pairs of eyeballs or individual ones? Just kidding. As per the usual, @ChrisTurk comes in clutch.

16. Major Payne

Major Payne New Turker

Ratings:
    +27
    Are these hits available to non-masters? As a non-master I'm always looking for new and exciting hits.

17. NBadger

NBadger Mod of Cat Gifs

Ratings:
    +40,241
    They are :)

18. SAJ

SAJ Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +51,479
    Was my thing with them too...I actually gave up on them after seeing I'd get 1 or 2 an hour. Neat hits though