Large vs small batches

Discussion in 'Requesters' started by RAB, Dec 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. RAB

RAB New Turker

Ratings:
    +5
    I like posting in batches of 9, because the MTurk fees are cheaper. I'm new to the game and wanted to ask: does MTurk somehow prioritize HITS that are larger volume? Or do you get the same "odds" of being seen by Turkers, regardless of your batch size? Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  2. RAB

RAB New Turker

Ratings:
    +5
  3. StuffAlleySays

StuffAlleySays Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +4,096
    People have to be able to catch the hit. I haven't even seen it. What is the requester ID #? I think you will find that most people are active in the morning and then it fluctuates throughout the day, things slow up in the evening hours and that is also when many overseas workers are turking. 9 is not very many at all. What is the timer on the hit? If you send out 9 hits in a batch and all 9 are caught but the timer is an hour and they are working through their queue and doing those that are the easiest money first then you will likely see a good portion of your hits returned because the workers did not get to them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RAB

RAB New Turker

Ratings:
    +5
    Ah, ok, so what you're saying is that if 9 people sign up, it will block anyone else from seeing it until they either submit or their time runs out? It's indeed set at a 1 hr timer. Maybe this is slowing things up, to the extent that not all who accept do it in time. Hmm, doesn't seem like there's a solution though, short of posting a larger batch. Thanks for replying.

5. StuffAlleySays

StuffAlleySays Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +4,096
    No problem. Also, an hour timer on a hit estimated to take 45 to an hour will leave some people short on time ( some are slower readers etc..) if you want the hit done thoroughly, give them a 2 hour timer to allow for this. :)

6. billy

billy Active Turker

Ratings:
    +544
    You can post more than one batch of 9 at a time to save the 20% additional fee.

Or you can read this google doc https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Y_lvecsOefCfkXkkrdFtW1GH-NkoZidKzKXqFVJaLH4/edit#slide=id.p and learn how to post them all at once.