[Please Help!] most HITs not loading

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by blanksmaiden, Nov 11, 2019.

1. blanksmaiden

blanksmaiden Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +261
    hello,

i only just started having this issue today. i can load the lesser HITs, such as the TeamZ receipt HITs, but almost any survey i click on just gives me the sad page face with the message "The connection was reset." it wasn't doing this yesterday or any other day, just started today. i tried restarting my computer, my browser, and clearing cookies and my web cache, but the error is persisting.

specifically, the amazon mturk site itself is loading fine, but all the stuff that loads where youre supposed to click a link and put your survey code is not working

i am using google chrome Version 78.0.3904.87 (Official Build) (64-bit) for macOS 10.14.2 on a mid-2014 retina macbook pro, if that helps. i hope someone can help me figure this out soon, i rly need to be working on mturk. thank you for your time.

edit: i'm really not sure if the problem is on my end or the site's. like i said, i can at least load stuff like TeamZ, but HITs like these do not load at all, just saying "The connection was reset." https://worker.mturk.com/projects/3203J2GC3Q7943NWG89MSFFMAIU484/tasks

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
  2. BlueMountainBacon

BlueMountainBacon Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +1,889
    Are you using a proxy or messed with your internet settings lately?

3. blanksmaiden

Ratings:
    +261
    no, neither. christurk just suggested that i switch my DNS to a google DNS so i'm going to try that

4. BlueMountainBacon

BlueMountainBacon Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +1,889
    Check your proxy settings just in case, disable add-ons if you have any running, restart your router.

Google suggests those to try too, if the DNS change doesn't work for you.

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  5. blanksmaiden

Ratings:
    +261
    i already cleared my browser cache, i just changed my DNS settings to point to google's ipv4 and ipv6 addresses. my proxy settings dont seem to be an issue either, i havent changed them and they havent changed. i will have to restart the router later because other people are using the internet without issue right now. i should add that i'm on satellite internet, which probably explains the test problem below. i went to a test page after changing to google DNS (http://216.218.228.119/) and got these results:

Test with IPv4 DNS record
    ok (2.385s) using ipv4
    Test with IPv6 DNS record
    ok (2.365s) using ipv6
    Test with Dual Stack DNS record
    ok (2.347s) using ipv6
    Test for Dual Stack DNS and large packet
    ok (3.927s) using ipv6
    Test IPv4 without DNS
    ok (2.315s) using ipv4
    Test IPv6 without DNS
    ok (4.158s) using ipv6

Test IPv6 large packet
    timeout (15.925s)

Test if your ISP's DNS server uses IPv6
    ok (4.117s) using ipv6
    Find IPv4 Service Provider
    ok (2.429s) using ipv4 ASN 6621
    Find IPv6 Service Provider
    ok (2.399s) using ipv6 ASN 6621

right now i'm trying to load google chrome onto a different computer and see if that solves the issue somehow, because i'm stumped as to how just about every site is working except SOME mturk HITs

6. blanksmaiden

Ratings:
    +261
    i just managed to submit a qualtrics-powered HIT. i'm rly not sure whats going on here, if it's somehow fixed itself or if its only happening with some HITs that require large ipv6 packets?

edit: still having the error on several HITs. i will try rebooting the router as soon as i can

also, w/r/t addons: i've disabled anything that i think could cause a problem and have had no luck there

7. blanksmaiden

Ratings:
    +261
    okay, i've cleared the browser's cache again, restarted the browser, and i've restarted the router. managed to complete a few HITs so far, hopefully rebooting the router solved it. i'll report back if there are more issues, but thank you very much regardless for yr help

edit: done a few more HITs, issue seems to have cleared up so far. thanks very much christurk and bluemountainbacon :)