No more surveys on Mturk??

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by godmindconnection, Feb 28, 2023.

1. godmindconnection

godmindconnection New Turker

Ratings:
    +17
    Is Mturk moving away from hosting surveys? I noticed a significant decrease in the volume of surveys over the past 2 years, almost to the point of being non existent. Are most researchers using different platforms now, due to increase of bots? If so, what platforms are they now using?

2. nyvar

nyvar New Turker

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still getting surveys, but I'm continually getting an error saying I've already completed the survey when I haven't.

3. NorthoftheBlueMts

NorthoftheBlueMts Turker

Ratings:
    +89
    This note from one of Connect's Requester pages pretty much nails the scarcity down to the Great Billing Drought.

We are aware of an AWS Billing issue that is affecting some of our MTurk Toolkit users spending limits. If you are experiencing this issue please submit a support request on the MTurk support page.

Elsewhere, Connect is offering a helpful roadmap:
    How do I Turn on AWS Billing?

Connect also supplies 'how to' info on the billing tangle on this page.
    And If you haven’t already, you should create a CloudResearch account. Then, create a Mechanical Turk requester account and an Amazon Web Services (AWS) account. ...

Turkopticon has been helping out Requesters too, as found scattered throughout their recent replies on Twitter...

It's a huge mess ... creating waiting lists on Connect & Prolific as turkers flee the drought

4. Jane Doe

Jane Doe Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +2,141
    I hear they've changed their name again to Prime Research Solutions LLC and Amazon is too blind to see they're the reason requesters have gone to Prolific due to their shameless manipulation.

5. NorthoftheBlueMts

NorthoftheBlueMts Turker

Ratings:
    +89
    Yup, all the Connect deposits coming into my paypal acct are credited from Prime Research Solutions LLC

6. Jane Doe

Jane Doe Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +2,141
    You couldn't pay me enough to sign up with those clowns. I guess they'll keep changing their name to dodge people catching on to their fuckery. Supposedly they are going to start "further vetting" participants. Good luck with that everyone, or run while you can.

7. godmindconnection

Ratings:
    +17
    What does this mean now that they changed the name? Are surveys from Mturk being hosted on a new platform powered by amazon??

8. godmindconnection

Ratings:
    +17
    What does this mean now that they changed the name? Are surveys from Mturk being hosted on a new platform powered by amazon??

9. godmindconnection

Ratings:
    +17

10. godmindconnection

Ratings:
    +17
    Do you use other platforms for surveys as well or just mturk?

11. NorthoftheBlueMts

NorthoftheBlueMts Turker

Ratings:
    +89
    The name change was quite some time ago, they used to be Turk Prime. Their toolkit makes it easier for requesters to wade through the code necessary for MTurk ( survey solutions for researchers ). They are a 3rd party, like Survey Monkey, Qualitrics, etc. They continue to run on Amazon as well as starting up Connect, a separate platform, like Prolific. There seems to be a lot of cross currents between or among them. I'm still waiting for an invitation to Prolific and started up with Connect in 2023. Google around for articles, papers, etc.

CloudResearch®, formerly TurkPrime, makes online participant recruitment fast, easy, and efficient. Our tools give researchers immediate access to millions of diverse, high-quality respondents.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
  12. Saibra

Saibra New Turker

Ratings:
    +8
    Very slim choices on Mturk has had me shift away from it. Well, that and witnessing family do well on Prolific without the underpayment hassle & rare opportunities. Been using Connect since the end of December while I wait for that entry. It's no Prolific by far, but I think it's trying to get on their level a bit?

The surveys I've done mean the time they say e.g., study lasts 3 minutes when they say $1 for 3min more like Prolific style. It's been mostly slow--not many studies but that may just be my "about me" not being what's in demand. Seems their aiming to be better; juries still out on that one:emoji_shrug:

• Like Like x 2
  13. lovemydogs

lovemydogs Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +401
    Someone posted on the reddit thread for CR that she was an active participant on CR and all of a sudden one night she got a message saying she was now being moved to the waiting list to give other people a chance to work on CR. Thats awful!

14. Sigil 1

Sigil 1 Active Turker

Ratings:
    +142
    Wait, what's wrong with them again?

Also, not to be that guy, but it's not like Amazon really cares, seeing as how as long as they get their money the requesters can do whaever they want.

• Like Like x 1
  15. godmindconnection

Ratings:
    +17
    Would you happen to have a link to connect surveys? When I google connect surveys, it's pulling up many sites, but nothing too specific. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NorthoftheBlueMts

NorthoftheBlueMts Turker

Ratings:
    +89
    Sorry, missed this yesterday! https://connect.cloudresearch.com - you want to register as a participant. There's also a Reddit you can read without joining (caution if you join this is moderated by the company!) https://www.reddit.com/r/CloudResearchConnect/

17. Dabears554

Dabears554 Well-Known Turker

Ratings:
    +1,440
    I'm doing okay (not really) on Turk today. At least well enough I might try again tomorrow if I don't feel like walking around town handing out resumes.

Prolific is absolute crickets. I was at 84% demo questions filled out. Now at 100%. Haven't logged on there in over a year before today. Absolutely nothing to show for it.

18. Sigil 1

Sigil 1 Active Turker

Ratings:
    +142
    If you never got a study after the first three months, you likely got screened by internal checks and were removed from the platform entirely.

19. laby

laby Survey Slinger Former MTG MotM TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +31,309
    Or they don't like his Internet provider. My faster internet is blacklisted by Prolific. If I want to check for surveys I have to switch to the really crappy phone company internet.

20. Sigil 1

Sigil 1 Active Turker

Ratings:
    +142
    You can always just ask them to move your internet to the whitelist provider. But yes, you can also have it that your ISP isn't whitelisted by prolific for one reason or another, or your IP gets put on a watch list.