[Please Help!] Samuel Gershman not paying bonuses.

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by Gary Hess, Jan 17, 2024.

1. Gary Hess

Gary Hess Turker

Ratings:
    +65
    A couple of weeks ago I completed a task for Samuel Gershman: Interactive teaching game! $5 + up to $10 bonus for 45 minute HIT(~ 45 m). I successfully completed the task with my partner earning us a $9 bonus. I was paid for the study, but I was never paid the bonus. I have tried contacting him 3 times, being ghosted every time. I know he is active because I see he has new tasks advertised. I also see others are having issues in collecting bonuses. I know this is a long shot, but if anyone has a copy of one of his disclosure statements that has his institution's contact info., I would appreciate it, so I can try to figure out why he has changed his mind about paying me.

• Like Like x 2
  2. j0sh83

j0sh83 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +9,145
    I have bonuses pending from June 2023 as well as for the study you mentioned, but I did complete a HIT yesterday titled Reward learning experiment! $2 base pay + $1-2 bonus (15 minutes)(~ 15 minutes) and received a bonus for it this morning if that is any reassurance.

Unfortunately it's a shared account between researchers at Harvard. You might look through the people section of their website and pick someone to email. I'd start with a grad student. https://gershmanlab.com/

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gary Hess

Gary Hess Turker

Ratings:
    +65
    Thank you so much. I will try pulling at that thread and see where it goes.

4. malysa

malysa Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +5,847
    yeah, I'm owed about $30 for three or four researchers over the last month and a half and totally mad at myself that I don't keep them on paper anymore. Well, index cards, but ya know... I believe in karma and the possibility that maybe they flunked or dropped out and don't give a shit. Regardless, it's a lesson to make sure that you make reviews here on turkerview.

5. j0sh83

j0sh83 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +9,145
    @Gary Hess Was just looking through some old emails and saw this. IDK if you already tried email a grad student, but if not, can also try this.
    upload_2024-1-18_9-6-22.png

6. Gary Hess

Gary Hess Turker

Ratings:
    +65
    UPDATE. I emailed Samuel Gershman directly. I found his email on the Havard website thanks to @j0sh83. I think he passed it on to one of his assistants because I got a response from who I assume is one of his grad students. She claims it was due to "technical difficulties" and she will pay it ASAP. It has been 24 hours, and I have yet to see anything. I also mentioned that there's a bunch of you waiting for your pay. I'll keep you updated.

• Like Like x 2
  7. malysa

malysa Survey Slinger TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +5,847
    You've received a bonus from Samuel Gershman for work related to 3MDWE879UHOS8OA45PFYD1QZQ019BF.
    The value of your bonus is: $10.00 USD

The Requester included this note:
    Thank you for your careful work on our HIT.

• 5/5 Pay 5/5 Pay x 1
  8. Gary Hess

Gary Hess Turker

Ratings:
    +65
    UPDATE I just received my bonus. And to their credit, they gave me the full bonus AND are claiming to grant everyone who completed the study the full bonus stating:

"I have been trying to find the bonuses but wasn't able to locate them, so I am paying everyone the maximum bonus amount."

I also asked that they make whole all of you waiting for your payments from prior studies. I am hoping they will be more proactive when communicating with us going forward. We will see.

• Like Like x 1
    • 5/5 Pay 5/5 Pay x 1