Sprint plan, feature suggestions

Discussion in 'Requesters' started by Robert, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Hey guys,

I was just writing this in another thread as a response and realized it might be useful in a more visible location. We're doing some sprint planning (work plan) for the next two weeks and thought we would ask if there are any features you would like to see.

We are planning to build in the button functionality to allow you to press forward and back on an image. This will take you to the most recently viewed image. This should help to indicate whether or not what you are seeing is a smoke or a smudge on the lens!

Also, for those of you interested, increasing the number people allowed to do the HIT worked wonders in terms of increasing our participation levels.

Love you,

RObert

• Like Like x 3
  2. SoonerChris

SoonerChris Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +6,959
    A button to designate when a camera is offline would be nice.

• Like Like x 3
  3. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    [​IMG]

and obvi I mean @lefty :dunno:

• LOL LOL x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. A6_Foul_Out

A6_Foul_Out Organic Meme Panda TurkerView Masters

Ratings:
    +23,954
    compile all of the information/knowledge and learning you think a worker should know about the task into one easily accessible document somewhere.

If there's information/data points/examples on your end that you think would be valuable for the worker to have, add that as well.

• Like Like x 2
  5. lefty

lefty Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +49,005
    I am but a muse

HIRE ME ROBERT

• LOL LOL x 3
  6. Tripsa

Tripsa ก็็็็็ก็็็็็ก็็็็็ก็็็็็ก็็็็็ก็็็็็

Ratings:
    +30,599
    A built in way to zoom in on a spot or a way to enlarge the image within the hit itself would be useful. Right now if I have doubts about a certain area in the image I end up switching over to the iPad which allows me to zoom in which a pinch of my fingers. Only issue with that is the bounding box does not work on ios.

7. rater9

rater9 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +3,920
    Hi Robert!

I have to agree about the need for Zooming on the images. I am almost positive we were able to do that last year. Also some training for the late evening images would be helpful. i think I have figured out what "water reflecting moonlight" looks like and small "gathering of buildings" ? But I ran across something last night that seemed questionable so I boxed it. Being able to compare a past image would be quite helpful.

Oh some RAINEX and WIPERS for the camera lenses. (insert cheesey grin here)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Haha, yea, some follow-up. We have added zoom in functionality to the sprint. It should be here within the next two weeks. I'm going to talk to @ChrisTurk about setting up a Wiki, if that's an option, compiling all of the information in there and linking to it from the HIT for new people.

I think too, and it is a bit further down the line, but I think we are going to set up pre-qual people who we spend a bit more time training and have more submission options, like, cloud, bug on lens, virga, etc.

We are also adding, I think, like 14 new images in the next day or two. Which means, I think we are going to start running two sets of HITs at once. Or stagger them, I'm not sure. I hesitate to ask, but would you guys prefer a $0.20 HIT or a 2 $0.10 HITs? I think you guys will like the former but we'll prefer the latter.

Also, we banned our first person yesterday. :( Not you, @rater9 :)

Umm, on that note I think if we ever do set-up a wiki, i'm going to make a section contain all of the images that definitely do not contain smoke but are perpetually mistaken for having it. Most of you guys will enjoy it. Some of you might be ashamed ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    Personally I prefer 2 10s, especially if they're staggered, but YMMV on that I could see folks having wildly different preferences there :dunno:
    If they were outright scamming the HITs PLEASE BLOCK THEM.

It is extremely difficult to tell if you've been blocked now on mTurk, and if you also assign them a disqualified qual there is basically no way for them to know (ie, they wont come nagging you) but it is super beneficial for the rest of us for scammers to be blocked.

I get why Requesters wouldn't do it in the past (there was a giant banner telling the worker that you blocked them) - but nowadays I'm personally recommending Requesters who have experience/understanding of the platform to hard block workers who are scamming them since it can help cull those workers from the population and there is a drastically reduced chance of blow-back on the Requester.

Just my 2c there, and I'm a bit on the rude side of it I think (advocating for blocks) but IMO its a net-win for most people as long as the Requester has a very good reason for doing so :dunno:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Haha, look here:

11. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927

I mean.. like.. huh, alright.

I've seen some dumb stuff on the requester side. That one is pretty special though, most workers who aren't doing the work are at least smart enough to put the answer that isn't going to stick out like a sore thumb.

My 'benefit of the doubt' guess is someone was trying to build their own keybinds and swapped the buttons.. but still pretty unlikely LOL.

• Like Like x 2
  12. rater9

rater9 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +3,920
    Pre-qual is good ... I'm putting in for my "Great-Grandma" Grandfather clause pre-qual request now. LOL

More submission options and training material is good.

Fourteen new images sounds great. Personally I prefer two $0.10 hits. Keeps the timing fairly status quo.

RE: Banning ... if they can't do the time, don't do the crime.Seriously, marking everything smoke had to take extra time when you factor in the boxes...It is hard enough to get hits at times without having to compete with scammers.

13. Randomacts

Randomacts Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +124,073
    I am not the person that was blocked but it might be a good idea to use exclude quals instead of blocking as that hurts people's accounts more than it should.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  14. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    I'm all about maximizing pain

• LOL LOL x 2
  15. Randomacts

Randomacts Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +124,073
    Like the pain that a week later I notice that I had a typo in that post?

• Like Like x 1
  16. SmokedKipper

SmokedKipper Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +2,207
    I was thinking if possible maybe having 1 or 2 shots of the spot that are verified no smoke. Making it easier to see any possible changes in the forest.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018