Suddenly getting 50% submit without their HIT code

Discussion in 'Requesters' started by RAB, Jan 23, 2022.

1. RAB

RAB New Turker

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all,

I recently ran 2 studies. At the end, participants get a code that they have to submit with the HIT. Each took about 30min and we paid $6 ($5 base with $1 bonus). Everything came in fine. Every once and awhile, someone would email that they ran into some error, and in a couple cases (out of about 200) people submitted their MTurker ID when they were running out of time, then finished the server.

However, now I'm running a study that takes about 55 minutes, paying about $10 ($9 with $1 bonus). All of a sudden, about half of the HITs turned in are just people's MTurker IDs, and they aren't completing the task. I can't figure out what's happened. You'd think that if someone thought the task was too long/hard, that they would simply turn the HIT back in and move on. But they will submit, and now I'm in the position of having to decide whether to reject these useless HITs. (So far, I haven't because I don't want to get a bad rep, but it's been >$100 down the tube and I can't keep paying people who do this.)

Anyone else run into this / have suggestions?

2. j0sh83

j0sh83 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +8,213
    Nevermind. See this was a double post.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022