WE DID IT! We found a fire! A real one!

Discussion in 'Requesters' started by Robert, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Haha, oops. I'm not actually the guy that sends out bonuses and I just spoke with him and it sounds like the mistake was on our end. I guess you'll just have to do another 500 now :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

• 5/5 Pay 5/5 Pay x 2
    • LOL LOL x 1
  2. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Actually, if you guys look closer at this image (which we should all be doing ;) ) you can see three big fires.

Though they haven't been apparent until today.
    [​IMG]

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 1
  3. Tripsa

Tripsa ก็็็็็ก็็็็็ก็็็็็ก็็็็็ก็็็็็ก็็็็็

Ratings:
    +30,599
    Darn okay.
    As for the image above I started marking one spot wasn't too sure if it was clouds or not.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    No problem - it's a learning process for all of us.

One thing that's important to remember. We don't care if you think you see something and you get it wrong. We don't care at all. In fact, we encourage it. We just have to know if someone thinks there's smoke in an image. It's far worse if we miss something that's actually there but over time, we'll all get better.

• Like Like x 4
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 2
  5. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    What's crazy about this whole thing is we weren't sure we were going to find something all summer. I mean we knew this could work, but if you have to get kind of lucky to have a smoke pop up by your camera.

6. GoldGuardian

GoldGuardian Black Order

Ratings:
    +16,743
    I seem to be having an issue on marking the fires. Wherever I click on the image, the box always seems to be to the left and away a bit from where I clicked, making it hard to mark the spot since I have to redo it a couple of times to actually mark it. Using Chrome fyi.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  7. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    That's extremely useful information - I'll pass this off to the devs tomorrow when they get in and we can talk about possible solutions. If you could send us a screenshot, that would be amazing.

8. Tripsa

Ratings:
    +30,599
    If we could get a bounding box that could be edited once placed, it would help relieve the issue with having to redo the box multiple times till it's right.

9. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    I'll bring that up, for sure. If it's not too hard to implement, we'll get on it right away.

We built the bounding box early and haven't implemented it from an administration side yet. So currently, we aren't even able to see where you've put it. The coordinates get saved in our database, which is important, but for our next development sprint, top issue will be allowing us to see where you've placed the bounding box.

• Like Like x 2
  10. GoldGuardian

GoldGuardian Black Order

Ratings:
    +16,743
    [​IMG]

11. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Awesome, thanks for taking the time to do this. I don't quite see the where the error is though.

12. GoldGuardian

GoldGuardian Black Order

Ratings:
    +16,743
    Sorry, basically if you look at the beginning of the click, the box is to the top left of the mouse

13. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Oooh yea, I see that - thank you. We'll get on it.

14. GoldGuardian

GoldGuardian Black Order

Ratings:
    +16,743
    Here's a better picture (right when i click):

image.png

15. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    That's definitely a pain in the ass. Thank you

16. GreenMachine842

GreenMachine842 Moderator (⌐■_■)

Ratings:
    +13,816
    @Robert I had this happen in my last hit.
    upload_2017-7-10_20-15-49.png
    It let me select 3 for limited visability (which is good) but thought I better let you know that maybe a camera or something got bugged.

17. GreenMachine842

GreenMachine842 Moderator (⌐■_■)

Ratings:
    +13,816
    Caught another hit and the problem seems to have been resolved.

18. Tripsa

Ratings:
    +30,599
    @Robert
    In today's and some of yesterday's images the last three cameras seem to have smoke in the horizon. I have been marking them as smoke and putting up a huge box to indicate smoke. Just wondering if this is okay as there really isn't any one obvious point as to where the smoke is coming from.

19. Eisenpower

Eisenpower Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +11,870
    I was going to post about that too. I'm not sure if that's smoke or if the pixels are blurred. The quality on the last few can cause some problems. I can mark what I think is possibly smoke, but it would probably multiple false positives per image.

20. Robert

Robert Hummingbird Watch

Ratings:
    +310
    Hey guys! Sorry I've been absent the last few days.

@GreenMachine842 thanks for pointing that out. Sometimes the camera breaks down. It's hugely frustrating. Usually, though, when it happens we draw existing imagery from the database. Limited Visibility was definitely the right call on this one.

@Tripsa @Eisenpower Yea, holy do we have a fire season. We haven't exactly figured out how to deal with the horizon smoke that we're seeing. It's obviously smoke, but it's not necessarily the type of smoke we're looking for. At some point in the future we might add a haze button but I'm not sure if that's the right solution.

One of the tricky things with this issue is that smoke still might appear behind the haze. That's what we want. I'm not sure. For know, if you don't see a little smoke in it, don't worry about marking, but there's no problem marking it anyways.

• Today I Learned Today I Learned x 3