A question about captchas

Discussion in 'Help & Guides' started by purplepotato, Apr 30, 2019.

1. purplepotato

purplepotato Lavender Spudkin

Ratings:
    +32,876
    Hello!

I've been lurking for a bit and want to say thank you to all of you sharing your wisdom and humor. I've learned so much just passively reading the forum! I'm hoping you can help me learn a bit more...

I have a question about captchas. I have a pretty crappy computer and very slow internet, which I think is causing this problem. Sometimes when I get a captcha notification from PC, by the time I switch to the PC window and click the link to clear the captcha, it just takes me to the "all hits" page of MTurk and shows the banner at the top saying there's not more of these hits available.

I saw on the wiki that failing 3 in a row will cause a lock out - does this count as failing the captcha, if it never shows up at all? Not only does this knock me out of my flow on a batch, but then I have to hang around on PC waiting for it to happen again, because the next hit I would have caught will be another captcha. I know I'm wasting page requests and time/money when this happens, so I'd welcome any insight on preventing it (I know I need a better computer, and a second monitor). My main concern, though, is that it will cause a larger impact on my account if I'm flagged as being a bot or something like that by not always completing the captchas. I'd say this happens about 20% of the time I run into a captcha.

Thanks for any help :)

2. CorvusSapiens

CorvusSapiens Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +9,895
    No, that's not a failed captcha.

The best thing you can do is go to mturk and pull up another hit, any hit, and accept it, then return it after you've done the captcha.

3. purplepotato

purplepotato Lavender Spudkin

Ratings:
    +32,876
    Thanks!