12/02 - New Feature Friday! TurkerHub xPort v1

Discussion in 'Daily mTurk HITs Threads' started by ChrisTurk, Dec 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    We all know HIT posters are the real crowd pleasers when it comes to mTurk forums..
    [​IMG]

But honestly, its so tedious.. Find the HIT you want to export, copy the code, find your forum tab in the middle of a queue full of Breligs and the 800 StackOverflow tabs you have open trying to make them worth more than .30c/hr, scroll down past 4 pages of folks arguing if its really butter, paste the code into the box and then hit the Submit button for that sweet, sweet 5/5 TO Pay rating. ..But what if I told you there was a simpler way?

[​IMG]

Introducing TurkerHub xPort

TL;DR:
    • Install the script (click here)
    • Change the top 2 values (username/password) to match your forum account
    • Load up mTurk or HitScraper, click the buttons next to good HITs (please don't spam the forum w/ bad HITs 'testing' it
    • ??
    • Help other people profit! (..and profit by saving time/hassle)

More In-Depth Explanation/Info

Purpose
    Forums live and die by the HITs posted in their daily threads (over dramatic, I know). But seriously, HIT posters do a lot for us and they often go unheralded in all the hustle & bustle of trying to finish/submit HITs we all snag here. I've always thought its weird just how horrible of a process it is to actually post a HIT to a forum (or God forbid, multiple forums) so I wanted to work on streamlining the process and really encourage more HIT sharing in our community. I know folks don't love HN but fact is HITs are going to get posted somewhere, and I for one would rather see them here! :)

So here is v1 of TurkerHub xPort. It should shave off a couple seconds every time a member is nice enough to share a HIT with the community, and as all Turkers know every second is valuable! I'd love feedback, advice, & suggestions on other improvements that could be made to the script, or the process in general. But for now, onto a quick user guide.

Setup
    You can install the script by going clicking this: Install Link

After installing it you'll need to change two lines around L23:

Code:
    /* CHANGE THESE VALUES */
    var user = 'forumUsername';
    var pass = 'forumPassword';

I've setup some back-end stuff to allow the script to authenticate with TH's server and post data from your account. It can't read anything private about your account, it can only authenticate & post/see publicly viewable data. Its about as secure as logging into the forum normally, its just done without the user interface. Nonetheless, please take this opportunity to review this awesome guide by @Trickydude24 about keeping your mTurk account secure!

Once you've edited those two lines the script will be fully functional.

Using TurkerHub xPort

*** Please do NOT "test" the script on junk HITs. ***
    I know its hard to refrain, but with multiple users installing it in short order today it'll really clog up the forum and be a general mess. Part of the reason I'm releasing it on a Friday is because traffic should be a bit lower, so go find great HITs, make big bucks, and share the wealth with your fellow weekend warriors :)

[​IMG]

#1 - This is the export button. Clicking this will tell the script to send this HIT (and any comments you have noted on it) to the forum. Once you click it you're 100% done, the script will do the rest for you.
    #2 - This is the comment box. You can make note of time, bonuses, or whatever other comments you'd make about the script here.
    #3 - Previously shared HITs will be marked as unavailable to export for the rest of the day (you can repost them again tomorrow if they show back up though!). For the most part this is to cut down on spam.
    #4 - Error Notice. Before posting a HIT the script will take a quick peek at the thread and make sure no one else has already posted it in the last couple of minutes. If it finds that someone has, it'll let you know. Simply clicking this notice will dismiss it, or you can ignore it if its not in your way (it wont steal focus or render the website unresponsive).

Things may be styled differently when this script overlays on top of something like Hit Scraper, but everything will function the same.

That's it. Simple, efficient HIT sharing.

Bugs, Feature Suggestions, etc

The only currently known bug with the script is that if you're using live update on the Daily HITs thread your new posts will not show up for some reason. Quite frankly I have no idea where to even begin with this, but I'm inclined to leave it as is since, honestly, you don't really need to see the HIT anyway so its just clutter :dunno:. Any replies or alerts your post generates will still come through without issues (and of course you can see your post if you reload the page).

Two people have already requester 'Hit Finder' support, so I'll add that in before the weekend's over (I tried to squeeze it in here in the last 20min, but didn't make the deadline, sorry!).

As for everything else, please either reply to the TurkerHub xPort Discussion Thread or shoot me a DM.

Disclaimer
    This is incredibly hackey.. I only cared about getting the functionality out there, everything else fell by the wayside as I've been putting way too much time into not working LOL. So I'll probably be editing/updating a lot as time goes on.

• Love Love x 17
    • Like Like x 8
    • Today I Learned Today I Learned x 7
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  2. Aqualea

Aqualea Active Turker

Ratings:
    +307
    So it adds, like, a button on mturk/hitscraper and you can click it, make a comment about it, and it'll automatically post it if it hasn't been posted before that day? Sounds more convenient than copying and pasting the forum code thing at least

3. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    You need to put your comment in the textbox before clicking the button. Once you click the button, its on the forum a second or so later.

You also don't have to comment, its optional. It'll post the HIT w/ no comment, I just added it in there since sometimes people are nice and give times and such.

IMO its like getting rid of CAPTCHAs. Just eliminating a small annoyance in folk's day who help me out by posting HITs here :)

• Like Like x 3
  4. rater9

rater9 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +3,920
    Wow @ChrisTurk brought us a MAJOR new toy tonight! Gotta give this a go in a few! LOL

Meantime at the Ranch ... Rev went out "shopping" today and brought home a couple new toys for ME :ap:

I now have some brand spanking new 32" TCL Roku TV Monitor(s) for those days when the creeky geriatric body just won't function and get out of the hospital bed. I can hook up the trusty ol' laptop and Turk Away ... AND ... Ham Up on some Netflix!

Hey where's a @Polar Bear when you need him? Rev also got me a new lap blanket so I don't get a chill while Turkin' :

Polar Bear Penguin Blanket1.jpg

Gotta love a fella that spoils ya rotten in your old age :ba:

• Like Like x 8
  5. Aqualea

Aqualea Active Turker

Ratings:
    +307
    Ooh! Sounds pretty nifty! I'll definitely have to play around with it when I get up tomorrow :ba:

Have a great night/day/etc. everyone btw lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. Narrii

Narrii Turker

Ratings:
    +26
    Very nice and useful, time saving Chris.............

7. rater9

rater9 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +3,920
    ... /sticking toe back into this with a wishful thinking enhancement ....

might this also be massaged to work with the @Kadauchi script for Prolific Academy? (((batting eyelashes wildly))) :ag:

• Like Like x 1
  8. ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk Administrator

Ratings:
    +162,927
    Sure, I'll add it to the 'scripts to support' list. Right now its just that and Hit Finder, so if folks know of others just let me know.

9. rater9

rater9 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +3,920
    All installed and ready to go hunting for hits ... LOL Thanks, @ChrisTurk

• Like Like x 1
  10. rater9

rater9 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +3,920
    • Like Like x 1
  11. rater9

rater9 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +3,920
  12. rater9

rater9 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +3,920
  13. Greenly

Greenly Active Turker

Ratings:
    +387
    Title: A short survey about advertisement | PANDA
    Requester: Rong Huang [A3EJV93XYEE3SA] (TO)
    TO Ratings:
    ★★★★ 4.29 Communicativity
    ★★★★★ 3.87 Generosity
    ★★★★ 4.55 Fairness
    ★★★★ 4.74 Promptness
    Number of Reviews: 67 | TOS Flags: 0
    Submit a new TO review
    Description: Complete several tasks and answer some questions
    Time: 60 minutes
    HITs Available: 1
    Reward: $1.25
    Qualifications: Photoshopped Face Study has not been granted;Total approved HITs is not less than 1000;HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 98;Location is US
    This export was posted through TurkerHub xPort Script • Learn MoreInstall Here

• 5/5 Pay 5/5 Pay x 1
  14. Polar Bear

Polar Bear 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ratings:
    +4,265
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  15. rater9

rater9 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +3,920
    Title: Do you see a difference in the images? (WARNING: This HIT may contain adult content. Worker discretion is advised.) | PANDA
    Requester: Amazon Requester Inc. - A9 Data Validation [A3HLF55H6JSTI0] (Contact)
    TO: [Comm: 3.86] [Pay: 2.61] [Fair: 4.36] [Fast: 4.31]
    Description Compare two images and provide answers.
    Time: 10 minutes
    HITs Available: 7356
    Reward $0.02
    Qualifications: Location is one of:; Blocked has not been granted; Category Validation Qualification is 10; Adult Content Qualification is 1;

• Like Like x 1
  16. leafs4_cup

leafs4_cup Ugly Mug

Ratings:
    +31,260
    @ChrisTurk

Is there (or will there be in the future) a way to use Hide tags?

17. RicanGuy86

RicanGuy86 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +9,138
    What's ever truly "hidden?"

18. leafs4_cup

leafs4_cup Ugly Mug

Ratings:
    +31,260
    In the end, nothing, but if you happen to be first, I'd rather give the people here a few seconds head start on 5/5 paying hits.

19. EmTurker

EmTurker Active Turker

Ratings:
    +353
    Is there a script for these?

20. turks24

turks24 Survey Slinger

Ratings:
    +13,777
    [hide]
    Title: Rate the audio file | PANDA
    Requester: Thor Russell [A1RC6AMW9EP941] (TO)
    TO Ratings:
    ★★★★★ 5.00 Communicativity
    ★★★★ 4.29 Generosity
    ★★★★★ 5.00 Fairness
    ★★★★★ 5.00 Promptness
    Number of Reviews: 7 | TOS Flags: 0
    Submit a new TO review
    Description: Rate the audio file based on how easy it was to understand and the range of English demonstrated
    Time: 60 minutes
    HITs Available: 5
    Reward: $0.07
    Qualifications: SpeakingAssessor is greater than 0;Speaking Assessor L2 is greater than 0;HIT approval rate (%) is greater than 25
    [/hide]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.